Looking for a little something different to listen to this holiday season? Years of retail have left me jaded of the traditional Christmas music and it’s always nice to stumble on something new, especially when performed by some of my favorite artists.
If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
If I could have any job in the world, it would be a tie between two things. First I would want to be a trauma nurse. Nursing is something that I am extremely passionate about and an adrenaline rush like you would not believe. The satisfaction of helping others in their most desperate time of need is exceptionally fulfilling. Second I would want to be a full time artist. I often day dream about spending my days creating. As my of you can relate to, creativity does not always come easy, so it would be nice to be in a position that would allow me to create whenever I feel inspired, and work without time constraints.
This was intended to be finished and post yesterday, but by the time I got home, I had come down with a case of the yucks. I spent my evening infront of the fan and a brief time outside to take in some cool air. Thankfully I am feeling better today.
Has anyone noticed that in the last few years it seems like Halloween is getting more and more diluted with the Christmas Creep? My years in retail always killed holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving because the focus was on Christmas, but it seems like every year, Christmas starts popping up earlier and earlier. I remember as a kid everyone on my street would get into Halloween. Candy, decorations, the whole nine. People would come from other parts of the city to trick or treat in my neighborhood. But I have noticed in the last few years that people don’t really decorate anymore, and last year we had 1 trick or treater at our house. Are people giving up on Halloween? Is it because of the economy? Are people too caught up in Christmas that they don’t mind bypassing my absolute favorite holiday?! Here are a few things that I love about Halloween
1. Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen one? I do believe in ghosts. My next door neighbor when I lived in LA had one in his house. You could sit in the large armchair in the living room and occasionally an overwhelming scent of ladies perfume would fly past your face, despite his wife moving out about a decade before I experienced it for the first time.
2. Favorite candy? Reese’s peanut butter cups, Milky Way Dark, Payday, smarties, and gummy bears.
3. What did you dress up as when you were a kid? I think the most memorable was the clown I dressed up as when I was about 5. My mom still has the costume in the box that it came in. I also dressed as a witch, Cleopatra, and a fairy a few times.
4. Parties or Trick-or-Treating? I only recall going to one Halloween party as a kid (the same year I dressed as a clown). I’ve always been partial to trick-or-treating.
5. Have you ever carved a pumpkin? Quite a few. I always become over ambitious and want to create designs that I end up regretting in the end. Some of my favorite pumpkins have been the Nine Inch Nails logo NIN and Link from Legend of Zelda.
6. Worst thing you’ve ever gotten trick-or-treating? One year my friends and I picked a neighborhood that was a real dud. We received walnuts, pennies, and raisins from people. Awful!
7. Best costume you’ve ever seen? For the last 4 years (this year will be 5!) I have been working the Exotic Ball in Sacramento, CA. They have a $5,000 costume contest, and some of the entries are incredible! My favorite thus far has been the man riding a HUGE tauntaun that he made himself . It was mechanical and awesome.
8. Favorite ‘Halloween’ monster? I think I would have to choose witches.
9. Favorite thing you’ve dressed up as? A couple of years ago I dressed up as Steve Zissou from the Wes Anderson film – The Life Aquatic. Only one person knew who I was, but I didn’t care, because it was awesome.
10. What are you dressing up as this year if you’re dressing up? What would you dress up as if you aren’t? I more than likely will not dress up. But if i had to choose anything, it would most likely be something from a video game.
11. Do you like going to haunted houses? No, I absolutely hate being scared and startled.
12. Haunted woods? See above.
13. Ever worked in/hosted a haunted house/wood? I participated in a haunted house one year for a youth group that I was part of as a kid. I scared myself more than anyone working there.
14. Do you decorate your home for Halloween?
When I lived in LA we would decorate a lot – but we havn’t done more than pumpkins and lights in the last few years.
15. Favorite decoration? Lights!
16. Got a favorite spooky tune? After having worked retail the last 10 years, I have been completely burnt out on Halloween music. If I had to choose one “Halloween” song, I would pick…
17. Any wardrobe malfunctions? None that I recall.
18. Scariest Halloween moment? Trick-or-treating on the block behind my old house, the owner whipped open the door and scared the living daylights out of me and I took off running down the street.
19. Best Halloween? I love every Halloween! I can’t pick one off the top of my head though.
20. Worst Halloween? Last year I slept through the entire night after getting home from work. Thanks for that depression!
So there are a few of my favorite things about Halloween. Stay tuned for some news that I will hopefully announce soon! It involves a new project I am working on.